Davis Statement on Bicameral Budget Agreement
U.S. Rep. Rodney Davis (R-Ill.) released the following statement after the House and Senate passed the first 10-year, balanced budget agreement since 2001.
“This budget reaffirms this Congress’ commitment to making Washington work for the American people,” said Davis. “With a unified budget plan in place, we can get back to our constitutional appropriations process to further prioritize spending. We have a responsibility to pass along a stronger country to our children and grandchildren and that starts with this budget that reduces spending, lets families keep more of what they earn through tax reform, protects entitlements for seniors, and promotes economic growth.”
Specifically, the budget includes:
• Balances the budget in less than 10 years by cutting $5 trillion in spending and calling for a fairer, simpler tax code to promote job creation and a healthy economy.
• Places the country on a path to paying off the debt.
• Calls on Congress to pass a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution.
• Repeals Obamacare in full – including all of its taxes, regulations and mandates – and promotes patient-centered health care reforms.
• Prevents government bureaucrats from coming between seniors and their doctors by eliminating the Independent Payment Advisory Board.
• Provides for a strong national defense through robust funding of troop training, equipment and compensation.
• Strengthens Medicare by making structural improvements to save the program.
• Prevents the president’s plan to raid the regular Social Security Trust Fund.
• Continues to help students pay for college by maintaining the current maximum Pell Grant award.